[Inpycon] [RFC] Abolish QA Time

Vijay Kumar vijaykumar at bravegnu.org
Sun Jun 16 10:17:54 EDT 2019

On Sunday 16 June 2019 07:05 PM, Pradyun Gedam wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 at 2:27 PM, Vijay Kumar <vijaykumar at bravegnu.org
> <mailto:vijaykumar at bravegnu.org>> wrote:
>
>     Please let me know your thoughts on this.
>
> It is important to note why PyCascades removed Q&A -- to "/make it a
> more friendly environment for first time and new speakers/.", which is
> especially relevant to PyCascades, since it is a single track
> conference. PyCascades also goes out of it's way to be welcoming, and
> has a substantial effort put into Diversity and Inclusion (they have a
> Diversity Chair), so removing a potential area of stress for such
> speakers is especially relevant to them. I don't think these points
> apply to PyCon India, since the structure of the conference is
> different and there are a lot of cultural differences in the audience.

This actually applies to PyCon India, as well. Diversity and inclusion
is a key part of our efforts too. We also have a Diversity workgroup
that is putting in efforts to bring in speakers and participation from
under-represented groups.

> Eric Holscher's has a blog post [1] about a few approaches that are
> better than "let anyone in the audience ask a question publicly". I
> think we should support the ones that are relevant to us (I think it's
> all of them are but I defer to the organizers to decide, since they'll
> have to do the prep for them).

Thanks for this link. The experience of other conference organizers is
surely helpful. I think the moderated questions is a good idea. And I
would personally prefer the low tech cards approach, over the Slack / IRC.

> As another data point, PyCon US 2019 provided options for speakers to
> choose from, 5 minutes prior to their talk (No Q&A, 5 minutes Q&A,
> book a room after talk for Q&A). They received feedback that this is
> good information to have, and that it should be communicated earlier
> to the speakers (i.e. when accepted / when applying).

This was another option, I was thinking about, as well. On a lighter
note, PyCon India speakers have always had this option, by overrunning
their time-slot, and ending up with no time for QA. :-)

Regards,
Vijay