[Inpycon] CFP announcement - request for feedback

Abhijit Gadgil gabhijit at iitbombay.org
Sat Mar 30 14:43:49 EDT 2019

Hi Abhishek,

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 10:46 PM Abhishek Yadav <zerothabhishek at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello friends,
>
> We're almost ready for the CFP announcement, and thought it would be a
> good idea to get the community's feedback on the communication. Please have
> a look here: https://in.pycon.org/2019/cfp.html
>
> The document contains quite a few policy related details, while most of it
> is about the process itself. We're planning to use this it outside the
> programming community as well, so the language is bit generic.

Thanks for putting up this. This is indeed a very very good starting point.
I have a few suggestions (some of them may be nitpicks) - See Below -

1. What to Propose - Bullet Point 4

> Thoughts on tech culture and living. Ideas on improving diversity and
inclusiveness. On programmers’ physical and mental health. On getting
better at productivity. On workplace issues. Anything that can make an
impact.

should be -

Thoughts on tech culture and living. Ideas on improving diversity and
inclusiveness. On programmers’ physical and mental health. On getting
better at productivity. On workplace issues. Anything that can make an
impact, especially if you have used Python for any of the above or have
seen someone seen Using Python.

For instance, thoughts on Tech Culture in Bengaluru, might be an
interesting topic for a conversation over one's favorite drink, but perhaps
it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a Python Language Conference,
unless someone has Used Python language to develop key insights into this
(and this is not really far fetched!)

2. Rehearsals -

Last Para (nitpick) - Better to say

Participation in the rehearsal sessions is likely going to be a Required
Step - Chances of Unrehearsed talk making it to final stage are
substantially lower.

The reason I am saying this is - Unless the logistics for this is worked
out properly, it's better to not say it is 'mandatory' and eventually not
being able to make this for whatever reasons.

3. Diversity

With 'disabled people' - If you mean 'physically challenged', it's probably
a good idea to say so. Someone physically challenged need not necessarily
be a disabled person or there needs to be a better definition of 'disabled
people'.

Also, while personally I am certainly in favor of diversity, such diversity
should not come at the cost of the quality. So a stated objective of 'Our
goal is to ensure at least one third contribution comes from
under-represented groups', is perhaps not the best one, if the sample space
does not represent the kind of distribution as your stated objective.
Better worded as 'Our goal is to maximize the contribution from under
represented groups'. If the sample space is indeed showing that kind of
distribution, there should not be any problem in achieving the stated
objective without being explicit about it.

4. Best Practices for Speakers

(nitpick)

Bullet Point 4: The proposal should not look like Sales Copy of your
Product/Business. To Promote your business, please get in touch with
sponsorship team. Better to drop the word Project. For instance I might
actually be interested in 'showing my project' (in Python) to the community
to get feedback and/or help for contribution.

I might even be inclined to drop this point because, such proposals if any
should get filtered if the review process is right and hence there is no
need to be explicit about it.

Thanks

-abhijit