[Ipss] membership

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at thenilgiris.com
Mon Jul 26 08:45:14 CEST 2010

hi,

now that the bank account is through it is time to get members - this is not
the primary aim for the society, but we would need at least 50 members to
achieve critical mass and pay for the working of the society. Anand had asked
psf for an '.in' subdomain, but they said they do not give national subdomains
as a matter of policy, so I have booked the ipss.org.in domain.

according to the byelaws, there are various categories of members, and they
have to fill in a form, pay an application fee and the committee has to approve
the application and then they pay the membership subscription. I suggest
having the form online, when they fill it in they are put on the pending
members list - committee members are notified and they can approve, disapprove
online - maybe a weeks time to be given, then the person is notified and he can
pay the application fee plus subscription and is then put on the members list.
The members list will show name, occupation and city. If anyone wants the full
list with addresses, he is entitled to it provided that he visits the
registered office in office hours, fills in an application form in triplicate and
pays the requisite fee.

the list of members and pending members will only be viewable by logged in
users and the full details only by committee members. There will also be a
static page for download of society documents. At present resolutions are on
the wiki - they can remain there for the time being. Now we need a few
committee members who are not actively involved in the conference organisation
to volunteer to screen and approve of applications. I am available, and if we
have a few more people we can do this without disturbing the work for the
conference.

thoughts?
--
regards