[Ipss] amendment of the memorandum of association

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Wed Sep 22 02:36:41 CEST 2010

hi,

as you know, we wish to get the society registered as an
educational/charitable association under the income tax act so that we
can get the 80G exemption for donations. On discussion with the CA, I
find that in it's present state the MOA will not get approved for this
purpose. Reason: as far as most people know, software is a commodity to
be bought and sold, so a society for promotion of a particular type of
software would be deemed to be commercial. It is necessary to add a
clause in the MOA to clearly point out that python is free and open
source and it's development and promotion is completely volunteer driven
and not for profit. Therefore I propose adding a preamble to the MOA:

The python programming language is free and open source software. It is
developed and promoted by volunteers and is available for download and
distribution totally free of cost.

thoughts?
--
regards