[Ipss] amendment of the memorandum of association

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 06:40:23 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 22 2010, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:

> hi,
>
> as you know, we wish to get the society registered as an
> educational/charitable association under the income tax act so that we
> can get the 80G exemption for donations. On discussion with the CA, I
> find that in it's present state the MOA will not get approved for this
> purpose. Reason: as far as most people know, software is a commodity to
> be bought and sold, so a society for promotion of a particular type of
> software would be deemed to be commercial. It is necessary to add a
> clause in the MOA to clearly point out that python is free and open
> source and it's development and promotion is completely volunteer driven
> and not for profit. Therefore I propose adding a preamble to the MOA:

Makes sense.

> The python programming language is free and open source software. It
> is developed and promoted by volunteers and is available for download
> and distribution totally free of cost.

I can't see any problem with this. It does't seem to alter our charter
in any way. However, would it not be better to explicitly state that we
are an organisation that educates people about the Python language and
related open source technologies in general rather than focus on the
language?

[...]