[Ipss] Receiving funds from foreign sponsors

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 01:18:53 CET 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-17 at 18:34 +0530, satyaakam goswami wrote:
> for FCRA application we will be needing Balance sheets of last three
> years .

could you explain how we can produce balance sheets of the last 3 years
when the society has not been in existence for even *one* year? As
explained on this list, on the conference list and at the AGM, getting
all these permissions is a long drawn affair. We have to get the PAN
number (which we have got), file tax returns (we are filing a nil return
for the last financial year, then apply for 80G, get that, prove our
bonafides by regularly filing returns to the registrar of societies,
holding regular AGMs and complying with a million other petty
requirements.

After we have done all this, and have been in existence for at least 3
years, we can think of applying for FCRA certification. Even here, some
of us are so fed up with the procedures and hassles involved that they
do not want to even attempt it. In one particular society, we have been
working for 13 years now - and still have not got anywhere even after
spending huge amounts of money in fees, travel and stay in Delhi etc. As
far as I am concerned this is a goal - but priority should be on making
the society stable with a suitable number of members. 80G is very
important as we can tap local funding, and if we raise funds locally, we
can always get matching grants from the government.

So now let us concentrate on enrolling some corporate and institutional
members, and getting all the leading pythonistas in the country to join
as members. I feel that if you have time and energy to spare you could
organise a countrywide drive to get good members.
--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves