[Ipss] Receiving funds from foreign sponsors

satyaakam goswami satyaakam at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 03:26:40 CET 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 5:48 AM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-03-17 at 18:34 +0530, satyaakam goswami wrote:
> > for FCRA application we will be needing Balance sheets of last three
> > years .
>
> could you explain how we can produce balance sheets of the last 3 years
> when the society has not been in existence for even *one* year? As
> explained on this list, on the conference list and at the AGM, getting
> all these permissions is a long drawn affair. We have to get the PAN
> number (which we have got), file tax returns (we are filing a nil return
> for the last financial year, then apply for 80G, get that, prove our
> bonafides by regularly filing returns to the registrar of societies,
> holding regular AGMs and complying with a million other petty
> requirements.

yes i am aware of that , what i meant was we will be needing some
paperwork.what i am pushing for here is  PP there have been  cases in past
where once the PP is taken  on a regular basis then our case becomes
stronger for FCRA. also what i understood with the people i spoke wrt FCRA
here is the three year clause is not a mandatory one you can get it before
that too.

After we have done all this, and have been in existence for at least 3
> years, we can think of applying for FCRA certification. Even here, some
> of us are so fed up with the procedures and hassles involved that they
> do not want to even attempt it. In one particular society, we have been
> working for 13 years now - and still have not got anywhere even after
> spending huge amounts of money in fees, travel and stay in Delhi etc. As
> far as I am concerned this is a goal -

i agree , i wanted to experience the same as in know the process and get
things done .

> but priority should be on making
> the society stable with a suitable number of members. 80G is very
> important as we can tap local funding, and if we raise funds locally, we
> can always get matching grants from the government.

ok

So now let us concentrate on enrolling some corporate and institutional
> members, and getting all the leading pythonistas in the country to join
> as members. I feel that if you have time and energy to spare you could
> organise a countrywide drive to get good members.

this is something which is doable and is a must do  , yes i have been doing
this very proactively , to get to the misionnary level , i have to let go
certain other activities and commitments this is where i think most of us
are stuck between valley and the well .

getting unstuck is also easy i have found ways to fund the activities , but
these so called institutions have not matured yet and they move too slowly
by that time the zeal is gone .

i can  start a separate thread on IPSS itself on promotion and what i fell
and how we can make it happen.of course Funding this activity too would be
an important item to discuss.

-Satya