[Ipss] PyCon US talk sponsorships

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 08:44:14 CEST 2011

I had proposed that we (slowly) start looking into other
activities apart from running Indian Pycons.

I am mulling two ideas right now and it would be
good to have feedback on them.

1. Sponsoring one person from India to US for
talking in US Pycons

The idea here is to provide travel reimbursement
and support for stay in the US, for a selected
speaker (preferably student, but I am open to ideas)
for presenting his talk/tutorial in Pycon US.

Submissions for this program will be on merit basis,
reviewed by a group who will select the best proposal
and fund it. We can tie up this program with willing
companies who are ready to attach their name to
it and take part in the sponsorship.

2. Python community award in India - This is inspired
by the PSF Python community award. As the community
here develops (and it has developed since the first
PyCon), we would invariably find local heroes who
are doing their bit for Python in India. I propose to
institute an annual community award for identifying
and encouraging such talent.

Feedback, comments, Original suggestions etc appreciated.

Thanks,
--
--Anand