[Ipss] PyCon US talk sponsorships

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 14:03:35 CEST 2011

2011/9/28 Anand Balachandran Pillai <abpillai at gmail.com>:
> I had proposed that we (slowly) start looking into other
> activities apart from running Indian Pycons.
>
> I am mulling two ideas right now and it would be
> good to have feedback on them.
>
> 1. Sponsoring one person from India to US for
> talking in US Pycons
>
> The idea here is to provide travel reimbursement
> and support for stay in the US, for a selected
> speaker (preferably student, but I am open to ideas)
> for presenting his talk/tutorial in Pycon US.
>
> Submissions for this program will be on merit basis,
> reviewed by a group who will select the best proposal
> and fund it. We can tie up this program with willing
> companies who are ready to attach their name to
> it and take part in the sponsorship.

-1

US PyCon pays $1500 to the tutorial speakers, if someone is really
worth, he can propose a tutorial and that take care of the most of the
expenses.

> 2. Python community award in India - This is inspired
> by the PSF Python community award. As the community
> here develops (and it has developed since the first
> PyCon), we would invariably find local heroes who
> are doing their bit for Python in India. I propose to
> institute an annual community award for identifying
> and encouraging such talent.

-1.

I think it is too early to do this. Most of the active members in the
community are on the board of IPSS.

I suggest running small events like python coding contests, connect
mentors and students to do their project in Python etc.

Anand