[Ipss] PyCon US talk sponsorships

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 14:53:12 CEST 2011

Anand Balachandran Pillai <abpillai at gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> 1. Sponsoring one person from India to US for
> talking in US Pycons

-1. I'm against this. The US PyCon provides financial aid for people who
can't otherwise make it. I think we should think about this only when we
have excess money lying in the bank.

[...]

> 2. Python community award in India - This is inspired by the PSF
> Python community award. As the community here develops (and it has
> developed since the first PyCon), we would invariably find local
> heroes who are doing their bit for Python in India. I propose to
> institute an annual community award for identifying and encouraging
> such talent.

-1. There are thorny issues of the voting committee, favouritism
etc. which need to be dealt with if we decide to do this. If we're
larger and have enough general members to vote etc., it might be okay
but I still think we're too young. Most of the people who do the work in
the "community" are part of the IPSS. The US organisation is able to do
this because they've reached a critial mass and there are people outside
them that deserve recognition.

However, I think the IPSS needs to do more. Here are a few suggestions.

1. Organise 1 day Python hackathons or support local groups that do
   it financially or otherwise. Promote and publicise such events.
2. Organise 1 day Python coding competitions and award prizes to
   winners.
3. Organise public trainings for Python especially in colleges and in
   public settings (for working people to attend).

[...]

--
~noufal
http://nibrahim.net.in

If you fall and break your legs, don't come running to me. -Samuel Goldwyn