[Ipss] PyCon US talk sponsorships

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 15:00:09 CEST 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Anand Chitipothu <anandology at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2011/9/28 Anand Balachandran Pillai <abpillai at gmail.com>:
> > I had proposed that we (slowly) start looking into other
> > activities apart from running Indian Pycons.
> >
> > I am mulling two ideas right now and it would be
> > good to have feedback on them.
> >
> > 1. Sponsoring one person from India to US for
> > talking in US Pycons
> >
> > The idea here is to provide travel reimbursement
> > and support for stay in the US, for a selected
> > speaker (preferably student, but I am open to ideas)
> > for presenting his talk/tutorial in Pycon US.
> >
> > Submissions for this program will be on merit basis,
> > reviewed by a group who will select the best proposal
> > and fund it. We can tie up this program with willing
> > companies who are ready to attach their name to
> > it and take part in the sponsorship.
>
> -1
>
> US PyCon pays $1500 to the tutorial speakers, if someone is really
> worth, he can propose a tutorial and that take care of the most of the
> expenses.

 I didnt know about this. How about talks ?

> > 2. Python community award in India - This is inspired
> > by the PSF Python community award. As the community
> > here develops (and it has developed since the first
> > PyCon), we would invariably find local heroes who
> > are doing their bit for Python in India. I propose to
> > institute an annual community award for identifying
> > and encouraging such talent.
>
> -1.
>
> I think it is too early to do this. Most of the active members in the
> community are on the board of IPSS.
>
>  I agree right now is too early. This was to get a pulse
 of the audience in this mailing list.

> I suggest running small events like python coding contests, connect
> mentors and students to do their project in Python etc.
>
>  We want to get from a stage of such abstract thoughts to more
 concrete proposals. Please propose something solid enough
 so that we can take and run with it within the next 6-8 months.

PSF has a Python sprints program but the amounts are not
large enough to be appealing. Also we do have this issue with
foreign funds, so I would rather get something running here
separately than tie up with programs that need overseas funding.

> Anand

--Anand