[Ipss] PyCon US talk sponsorships

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitb.ac.in
Wed Sep 28 15:22:39 CEST 2011

On 9/28/11 6:45 PM, Anand Chitipothu wrote:
>>> I suggest running small events like python coding contests, connect
>>> mentors and students to do their project in Python etc.
>>>
>>   We want to get from a stage of such abstract thoughts to more
>>   concrete proposals. Please propose something solid enough
>>   so that we can take and run with it within the next 6-8 months.
>>
>> PSF has a Python sprints program but the amounts are not
>> large enough to be appealing. Also we do have this issue with
>> foreign funds, so I would rather get something running here
>> separately than tie up with programs that need overseas funding.
>
> I think we need more motivation than money to do stuff like this.
>
> I'm very interested in connecting the students and mentors in local
> python community. IPSS can create a platform where mentors can submit
> project ideas and students can pick them and work with the mentor to
> solve them. Students get the experience of  working with real projects
> and mentors get  some help with their projects.
>
> We can create a platform for running public Python trainings. I might
> be worth charging a nominal to fee to keep the noise away. IPSS can
> take care of groundwork, so that the trainer can concentrate of the
> content.

Given the opinions of Noufal and you over here, I think what you have
proposed sounds very good and as you and others have rightly point out,
PyCon does provide financial aid.  The reason I +1'd the original
proposal was that I like the idea of providing some impetus to folks and
it seems like what you are proposing here might actually do that a lot
better albeit at the cost of more effort.

cheers,
Prabhu