[Ipss] PyCon US talk sponsorships

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 06:38:09 CEST 2011

Anand Balachandran Pillai <abpillai at gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> These are good, actionable items.
>
> However any such activity should ideally be sponsored. We dont want to
> end up carrying the financial burden ourselves.

That's true. OTOH, we could budget the PyCon slightly above the actual
event costs and use the extra money for stuff like this.

> The idea of a single day co-branded "Python Hackathon" with willing
> corporate or institutional sponsors is appealing. Companies would like
> this if addressed towards students since it provides them a ready to
> use recruitment pool.

This is a swell idea. The pre requisite is good relations with companies
that might be willing to sponsor this.

> Training is also a interesting idea, but the issue there might be to
> find trainers who are willing to do this for free.

I would personally be willing to conduct a 2 day weekend workshop for
free under the IPSS banner if someone else can help with the venue and
other costs.

> We might also want to look at promoting Python sprints like activities
> here, but as Anand C said, motivation is the issue there, not the
> money.

I think the right path is for us to conduct a hackathon like event at a
college. Closing bugs or something like that. We need to create the
motivation slowly before people are going to come request us for money
to conduct sprints.

[...]

--
~noufal
http://nibrahim.net.in

The scene is dull. Tell him to put more life into his dying. -- Samuel Goldwyn