[IPython-dev] Updates to CVS: tab completion and Windows coloring

Fernando Perez fperez at colorado.edu
Tue Dec 9 15:24:45 EST 2003

Gary Bishop wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 16:53:39 -0700 "Fernando Perez"
> <fperez at colorado.edu> wrote:
>

>>Just a quick question before I commit this version:  is the filename
>>generated by mktemp guaranteed to be in a directory the user has write
>>access to?  If not, an IOError exception could be triggered when trying
>>to actually write to the file, couldn't it?  That's about the only
>>thing that I can think of to keep the try blocks in there.  But I'd
>>prefer it if you are right, because it would save a double try in the code.
>

> I checked the code for tempname and it can raise IOError if it cannot
> find a temp directory. This would be a pretty terrible circumstance
> where lots of Python stuff wouldn't work but may well be worth
> protecting against.

Nah.  If someone has a system _that_ badly broken, ipython is the least of
their concerns :)  And the double try is ugly and expensive, so I'll instead
apply your simpler patch (the last one) later today.  The cost/benefit ratio
for this one makes me prefer the simpler solution.

If we ever actually get a bug report on this, we'll worry about it.

Thanks for clarifying this.

Regards,