[IPython-dev] IPython bug in tracebacks

Gary Bishop gb at cs.unc.edu
Tue Jun 10 16:24:48 EDT 2003

The cool traceback printing code in ultraTB.py fails if a program uses
a module from the current directory but changes it works directory
before the traceback.

The problem originates in inspect.getinnerframes in VerboseTB.text.
getinnerframes calls inspect.getsourcefile which insists on
os.path.exists(filename) before it will return filename. Problem is
after the chdir, os.path.exists will return false for things that
aren't full pathnames.

I think this is a bug in inspect and I have posted a message to
comp.lang.python expressing that opinion. We'll see if it gets a
response. Meantime, watch out for this problem in IPython.

gb