[IPython-dev] IPython with Color on windows

Gary Bishop gb at cs.unc.edu
Fri May 23 16:58:17 EDT 2003

I *can* make color work on Windows with my Python port of GNU Readline
but it will require changes to  IPython. Specifically, I need to get
access to everything that IPython  prints before it goes out. I tried
replacing sys.stdout with a "file  like" object but IPython doesn't
want to play with that for reasons I  don't understand. Probably a bad
idea for a shell to fool with that anyway.

So, if internally IPython had a function console_print or whatever,
normally it would just print but the windows version could eat the
escape codes (I've got that part written) and tell the Windows console
to do the right thing.

I'm not real excited about color myself but am willing to do it while
I'm bashing on things if folks are interested.

gb