[IPython-dev] IPython bug?

Fernando Perez fperez at colorado.edu
Fri May 23 22:33:21 EDT 2003

Gary Bishop wrote:
> On Fri, 23 May 2003 20:12:18 -0600 "Fernando Perez"
> <fperez at colorado.edu> wrote:
>
>>Bummer.  Without access to Windows, I'm a bit stumped then.  You might
>>try to see if there is any difference here between ipython and a plain
>>python shell using your readline stuff.
>

>>FWIW, if I type something similar in Linux, there's no problem.  So it
>>_might_ be a readline issue, perhaps.
>

>>Sorry not to be of more use on this one, but it's hard without having
>>access to a testing system myself.  As you are quickly realizing,
>>you'll be the one doing the heavy lifting on Win-specific stuff, not me :)
>

> It has the same problem on cygwin if I end the line with \ so I don't
> *think* it is a problem in my readline.

Well, I wonder then if it's something generic to the readline completion in
python, which is missing the Win-specific cases.  Since typically that code is
_not_ used under windows, I wouldn't be surprised if it has bugs which under
*nix don't get triggered.

Keep in mind that I use FlexCompleter, not the normal rlcompleter code.
FlexCompleter is basically rlcompleter + my own patches.  The good side of
this is that we have full control over the completion algorithms in ipython,
and any of those can be fixed if need be.

Best, and good luck with this one,

f.