[IPython-dev] bug report: dreload not working with 'from module import'

Fernando Perez fperez at colorado.edu
Tue Sep 23 20:28:59 EDT 2003

Sorry for the late reply, I was on vacation.

Ralf Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
> sorry for posting to the developers mailing list, but using the
> bugtracker wasn't possible (there seems to be no dns entry for
> www.scipy.net).

Mmh, works for me now.  But this list is ok too, don't worry.

> I have the following package:
>
> ipbug/__init__.py
> <empty>
> ---
> ipbug/version.py:
> from ipbug.vm import Version
>
> ---
> ipbug/vm.py:
> class Version:
>       pass

> Starting IPython, importing ipbug.version, and trying to dreload it,
> fails with 'ImportError: No module named ipbug.Version'.
> I also wasn't able to checkout the cvs version ('Unknown host
> scipy.org.' after I entered the password), so I have only included a
> traceback for 0.5.0.

Weird.  I'm having no problem accessing the scipy.org cvs.  Please let me know
if this problem persists.

On to your bug:  indeed, the dreload() code is far from perfect.
Unfortunately, it's also extremely tricky, it has zero comments, and I didn't
originally write it (it was one of the pieces from Nathan Gray I picked up
when I started ipython).  I'll put your report on the todo list, but this one
may take a bit to get fixed.  Every time I've had to deal with that code I've
ended up with a headache :)  But I promise to look into it.

> Thanks for the fantastic work on IPython,

Glad you like it, and thanks for the feedback!

Best,