[IPython-dev] Readline question from user

Gary Bishop gb at cs.unc.edu
Tue Feb 3 09:45:11 EST 2004

On Mon,  2 Feb 2004 19:58:20 -0700 Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu wrote:
> I tried your adaptation of readline to windows in python.  It seems to work
> pretty well but the letter display rate is very slow.  Is there anything
> that can be done to speed it up?

It seems fine to me but I'm not sure what the poster means by letter
display rate.

for i in range(100):
  print
'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa'

happens faster than I can see.

When I typed the string 'aaaaa... the key repeat rate appeared to be
identical to what I get in a command prompt window.

So it seems just like working at the python prompt to me, only much
better cause of ipython.

I'm using WindowsXP on a darn fast dual processor machine, so maybe
that biases my results. Characters take a long strange trip from
keyboard to display but I don't think I've got any explicit delays in
the readline code.

Perhaps Ron can provide a more specific example of the problem he is having?

gb