[IPython-dev] Slow typing with windows readline?

Gary Bishop gb at cs.unc.edu
Thu Jun 10 13:16:37 EDT 2004

Thorsten reports really slow typing with my readline code. I've seen
one other person reporting that.

Is that the experience of most? It flies for me. Looks just like typing
at the command prompt or into python normally. I've used it on several
computers always with great performance.

So, I'll need some help trying to track down what slows it down. I
can't believe it is computing for all that time! 1 second is a billion
instructions for these modern computers. Lets say you have a really
only computer and it's only 100 million instructions, that is still one
heck of a lot of computing for a single character. The code doesn't do
much; it simply get the character and dispatches to a function.

Could it be some difference in the way folks have configured their
console windows?

Any help appreciated.
gb