[IPython-dev] Re: Slow typing with windows readline?

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Thu Jun 10 20:58:49 EDT 2004

* Gary Bishop (2004-06-10 19:16 +0100)
> Thorsten reports really slow typing with my readline code. I've seen
> one other person reporting that.
> [...]
> Could it be some difference in the way folks have configured their
> console windows?

It is this[1] setting in my cmd.exe startup file which sets the height
and width of the command window to 87x45 and also the scroll buffer
size of the Window to 87x9999 (which is the maximum for the horizontal
scroll buffer). When you make this setting through the GUI you get a
warning that a scroll buffer of 9999 might use a lot of RAM (but it
doesn't). For instance I have a scroll buffer in rxvt of 65535 lines
and it is no problem for Python.

Your simple patch works beautifully...

Thorsten

[1] reg add HKCU\Console /v ScreenBufferSize /t REG_DWORD /d 655294551 /f