[IPython-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: Windows fixes, new prompts in CVS, testers?

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Sat Jun 12 06:42:10 EDT 2004

* Fernando Perez (2004-06-11 19:34 +0100)
> Gary Bishop wrote:
>> Could it be the permissions on the file as created by cygwin? I've had
>> occasional problems with permissions resulting from using both.
>> gb
>
> Thorsten, do you have a feel for whether this could be the problem?  I really
> don't understand why it doesn't work.  Here's the code:
> [...]
> It _manually_ does the file removal of the backup first, before attempting the
> rename operation.  If this doesn't work, I simply don't know what else one can
> do to force windows to delete the backup and rename the current file as backup.

Sorry, it was my fault. I updated IPython cvs to ~/ipython but
reinstalled from $IPYTHONDIR/ipython (where the old cvs was). Your new
cvs version solved the problem with "logfile backup" (and there are no
problems with rotate/append/over).

Two things still irritate me about the Windows version of IPython:

The different name for ipythonrc (ipythonrc.ini) which makes it
impossible to use ipythonrc for Cygwin IPython and Windows IPython.

And the ^M in the history files that IPython doesn't ignore in the
history file (so you could use a common history file for Windows and
Cygwin IPython).

Thorsten