[IPython-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: Windows fixes, new prompts in CVS, testers?

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Sat Jun 12 09:14:23 EDT 2004

Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> Sorry, it was my fault. I updated IPython cvs to ~/ipython but
> reinstalled from $IPYTHONDIR/ipython (where the old cvs was). Your new
> cvs version solved the problem with "logfile backup" (and there are no
> problems with rotate/append/over).

OK. Bug closed.

> Two things still irritate me about the Windows version of IPython:
>
> The different name for ipythonrc (ipythonrc.ini) which makes it
> impossible to use ipythonrc for Cygwin IPython and Windows IPython.

Since windows manages all file associations for editing via extensions, I
didn't want to leave the files extension-less.  This problem will ultimately
disappear, since as I rewrite the config system, ipython will be only
configured via proper python files instead of the fake rc syntax.

> And the ^M in the history files that IPython doesn't ignore in the
> history file (so you could use a common history file for Windows and
> Cygwin IPython).

As I said, this should be dealt with at the readline C level, via proper
universal lineend support.  Feel free to follow it up with the Python team via
SF's bug system.  It is not ipython's fault, and a workaround isn't
particularly clean to implement (it's possible, but I only see ugly hacks as
viable options).

f.