[IPython-dev] Windows installer - Progress Report

Viktor Ransmayr viktor.ransmayr at t-online.de
Sun Jun 20 07:12:19 EDT 2004

Hi Fernando Perez

You wrote:

> Viktor Ransmayr wrote:
>
>> Bad news: If I run the produced installer, I get the identical
>> traceback as
>> previously reported.
>>
>> ### For the record, here's my work-log again:
>>
>> 2004-06-14 11:54:54
>>
>> o Donloaded latest CVS-version of IPython into
>>   D:\Environments\Python\IPython\IPython-cvs\
>>

>> 2004-06-14 11:59:33
>>
>> o Try to make a binary installer using the post-install script:
>>   "python setup.py bdist_wininst
>> --install-script=ipython_win_post_install.py"
>>  - Everything seems fine, i.e. binary installer gets produced, no
>> traceback get
>>    produced by the script. - Saved logfile as
>> ipython_bdist_20040614.log.
>>

>> 2004-06-14 12:10:17
>>
>> o Install the self-created IPython-0.6.1.cvs.win32.exe
>>  - Follow the instructions in "Upgrading from a previous version" and
>> verify
>>    that the directory C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Viktor
>> RANSMAYR\.ipython
>>    doesn't exist.
>>
>> o Installation failed w/ the following traceback:
>>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "D:\Python23\Scripts\ipython_win_post_install.py", line 126, in ?
>>     run()
>>   File "D:\Python23\Scripts\ipython_win_post_install.py", line 86, in
>> run
>>     shutil.copytree('doc',doc_dir)
>>   File "D:\Python23\lib\shutil.py", line 100, in copytree
>>     names = os.listdir(src)
>> WindowsError: [Errno 3] Das System kann den angegebenen Pfad nicht
>> finden: 'doc/*.*'
>> *** run_installscript: internal error 0xFFFFFFFF ***
>

> Well, that's where it was getting stuck before, and all my attempts to
> fix things failed.  You may try to use the hacked
> ipython_win_post_install.py I posted.  That one has changes to the
> paths so that it runs to completion, avoiding the traceback above.
> However, though MY script runs correctly (verified by an internally
> generated logfile which records its end), the Windows binary GUI
> installer dies spectacularly.

I found the reason why the Windows installer failed:

if os_name=='windows' and 'install' in sys.argv[1]:     # *not* argv

However, there is no need to call the post-install script at all in the
setup-script.
This is done automatically by distutils.

With the attached versions of setup.py and 'ipython_win_post_install.py'
I can
run a *complete* and *successful* installation/ deinstallation cycle.

For the moment I just want to document the facts and the current status. - I
attach portions of my work-log:

2004-06-20 12:31:28

o Prepare a *minimal* version to send to FP and the mailing list.

o Run 'bdist_wininst'.

o Install 'IPython-0.6.1.cvs.win32.exe'
 - Finished w/o a glitch; i.e.
 - C:\Programme\IPython\IPython.py created.
 - Menu 'Start > Alle Programme > IPython' created empty.

o Running C:\Programme\IPython\IPython.py in IDLE w/ 'Run Module' fails w/

### Begin of IDLE Output ###

 >>> ================================ RESTART
================================

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Programme\IPython\IPython.py", line 26, in -toplevel-
    import IPython
  File "C:\Programme\IPython\IPython.py", line 27, in -toplevel-
    IPython.Shell.IPShell().mainloop()
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'Shell'

### End of IDLE Output ###

o De-Install 'Python 2.3 IPython-0.6.1.cvs'
 - Finished w/o *any* glitch.
 - However it reported that 1 files or directories could not be removed.
  * C:\Programme\IPython\ - Most likely because I had the script
'IPython.py'
    open in IDLE.

o Remove C:\Programme\IPython\ manually ...

2004-06-20 12:49:46

o Proofed my theory w/ another installation/ deinstallation cycle.
 - Everything got properly removed ...

### End of work-log ###

But the way it looks like, this is just the start of the road to a working
Windows Installer. - I'll start a follow-up discussion in a future mail.

Regards,
    Viktor