[IPython-dev] Windows installer - Clarification

Viktor Ransmayr viktor.ransmayr at t-online.de
Sun Jun 20 17:07:42 EDT 2004

Hi Fernando,

I wrote:

> I found the reason why the Windows installer failed:
>
> if os_name=='windows' and 'install' in sys.argv[1]:     # *not* argv
>
> However, there is no need to call the post-install script at all in
> the setup-script.
> This is done automatically by distutils.
>
> With the attached versions of setup.py and
> 'ipython_win_post_install.py' I can
> run a *complete* and *successful* installation/ deinstallation cycle.
>
> For the moment I just want to document the facts and the current
> status. - I
> attach portions of my work-log:
>
> 2004-06-20 12:31:28
>
> o Prepare a *minimal* version to send to FP and the mailing list.
>
> o Run 'bdist_wininst'.
>
> o Install 'IPython-0.6.1.cvs.win32.exe'
> - Finished w/o a glitch; i.e.
> - C:\Programme\IPython\IPython.py created.
> - Menu 'Start > Alle Programme > IPython' created empty.
>
> o Running C:\Programme\IPython\IPython.py in IDLE w/ 'Run Module'
> fails w/
>
> ### Begin of IDLE Output ###

> ================================
> >>>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "C:\Programme\IPython\IPython.py", line 26, in -toplevel-
>    import IPython
>  File "C:\Programme\IPython\IPython.py", line 27, in -toplevel-
>    IPython.Shell.IPShell().mainloop()
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'Shell'
> >>>

> ### End of IDLE Output ###
>
> o De-Install 'Python 2.3 IPython-0.6.1.cvs'
> - Finished w/o *any* glitch.
> - However it reported that 1 files or directories could not be removed.
>  * C:\Programme\IPython\ - Most likely because I had the script
> 'IPython.py'
>    open in IDLE.
>
> o Remove C:\Programme\IPython\ manually ...
>

> 2004-06-20 12:49:46
>
> o Proofed my theory w/ another installation/ deinstallation cycle.
> - Everything got properly removed ...
>
> ### End of work-log ###
>
> But the way it looks like, this is just the start of the road to a
> working
> Windows Installer. - I'll start a follow-up discussion in a future mail.

Before I can start this discussion I need to make sure that I start w/ the
right source-base, when I create the Windows Installer :-)

Is my understanding correct, that as a packager I have to start w/
a source distribution and *not* w/ a CVS snapshot if I stay solely in
a Windows environment ?

Regards,
    Viktor