[IPython-dev] Windows installer - Progress Report

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Sun Jun 20 19:17:15 EDT 2004

Hi Viktor,

Viktor Ransmayr wrote:
> I found the reason why the Windows installer failed:
>
> if os_name=='windows' and 'install' in sys.argv[1]:     # *not* argv
>
> However, there is no need to call the post-install script at all in the
> setup-script.
> This is done automatically by distutils.
>
> With the attached versions of setup.py and 'ipython_win_post_install.py'
> I can
> run a *complete* and *successful* installation/ deinstallation cycle.

That's great news.  If this works in the end, I'll remove that magic and leave
setup.py alone, so that:

1. Users of a .zip download who are assumed to be familiar enough with
handling source installs, can do the normal

$ python setup.py install

No 'magic' auto-adding of the install argument under Windows, which is a gross
hack to begin with.

2. Users of the graphical installer will simply double-click on the executable
and it will run to completion.

We're on the right track, great :)

Best,