[IPython-dev] minor ipython.el news

Alexander Schmolck a.schmolck at gmx.net
Thu May 6 14:29:26 EDT 2004

Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> writes:

>> BTW, I think it would be nice if ipython's traceback output would be a bit
>> more uniform, i.e. always match this (or some other emacs-regexp) pattern:
>>  \(^[^\t ].+?\.py\).*\n   +[0-9]+[^\00]*?\n-+> \([0-9]+\) +
>> Syntax errors for example currently produce output that doesn't match the
>> abovee, so it's not possible to automatically jump to the right line in the
>> source code (and emacs regexp limitations + the way traceback parsing is
>> hardcoded in python-mode.el make it impossible to handle them seperately).
>
> Hmm.  I poked around ultraTB.py, which is the traceback formatting code, and
> it looks doable.  However, not particularly straightforward at first sight :(
> That code is rather convoluted, and I'm not super-familiar with it, since I
> didn't originally write it myself (though I've modified it quite a bit).  So
> don't hold your breath on this one.  However, if in your copious spare time
> you come up with a nice patch for it, I'll gladly include it in ;-)

I'll consider it (when I get time to hack python.el one more time, I'll also
have a look at this; doesn't seem too much code although possibly not terribly
great quality -- I get negative line numbers every now and so often -- that
seems to happen if the file is rather short).

>>>./script.py --title 'some title'
>
> This one looks more feasible: it's basically adding more sophisticated quoting
> to @run than the simple .split() it currently does (I mean for the quoting,
> globbing is even easier).  I'll see if I can get this one in soonish, to at
> least grant you one of your wishes :)

Couldn't one just defer globbing and quoting to the shell (or have an extra
@srun command that does that?)?

> I hope your health improves.

Thanks, I'm fine again.

cheers,