[IPython-dev] Re: [SciPy-dev] Generic gui_thread + IPython: solution already exists!

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Sun Nov 14 23:14:23 EST 2004

    Prabhu> Looks like you did not start IPython with the -pylab
    Prabhu> option?  wxApp is created if you use -pylab (AND set WX as
    Prabhu> your default backend in .matplotlibrc, I forgot to add
    Prabhu> this detail).  Mine looks like this::

    Prabhu> backend : WX interactive : True

    Prabhu> Put this in a file called ~/.matplotlibrc and start
    Prabhu> IPython like so::

I know you are using this just as a way of using ipython to control wx
arbitrary apps, but just so people who might also be using or
considering using matplotlib don't get the wrong idea, I suggest
setting the backend to WXAgg rather than WX.  Then you'll get all the
wx stuff you need from ipython and in the event you generate any
matplotlib plots, they'll be feature complete and look nice.  The
plain-vanilla wx backend lacks many core matplotlib features and I'm
in no hurry to add them because I encourage people to use one of the
*Agg backends whenever possible (like now).

And now back to your regularly scheduled threading discussion....

JDH