[IPython-dev] Re: [SciPy-dev] Generic gui_thread + IPython: solution already exists!

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Mon Nov 15 00:37:13 EST 2004

Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

>     >> I actually thought of using this approach earlier when I was
>     >> fixing gui_thread, but thought IPython would need too many
>     >> modifications for this to work.  However, it looks like
>     >> Fernando has already done all the work for us.
>
>     FP> Well, I think the real credit should go to John Hunter and
>     FP> Antoon Pardon, the people who cracked the nut of the threading
>     FP> code originally :)
>
> Well, with all due respect to John, from Shell.py:
>
>  http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/65109,
>
>  by Brian McErlean and John Finlay.
>  Modified with corrections by Antoon Pardon.

> So I think these guys should get the credit for the original idea.

Yes, that's true.  They wrote the original ASPN recipe with the basic
threading trick.  But I ran into a few nasty problems along the way (after
rewriting that ASPN code completely, just keeping the core trick), and Antoon
and John were the ones who fixed my hangups (and John got all the WX Timer
stuff working).  All in all, the best of open source, collaborative effort:
none of us was an expert at this, but bit by bit we pieced together a working
solution.

>     FP> I don't have the necessary expertise to properly test this out
>     FP> for both wx/gtk, but I'd love to see these improvements go in,
>     FP> so I hope you or someone else can finish them up.
>
> I can send you a patch for the wxPython stuff and the preliminary work
> for gtk.  I think John will have to fix the pyGTK code a little more
> since he obviously knows a lot more than me about pyGTK.

Sure, pass me the patch.  Hopefully John, or someone else, can take a stab at
this at so the pygtk stuff works as well.  I'll give it a try myself, but
since I've never used pygtk, I'm quite likely to miss even obvious stuff.>

>     FP> Great work!
>
> No, once again, I see that I'm just a blithering idiot.  I should have
> seen this a long while ago.  My ignorance has gotten the better of me
> again.  Better late than never though. ;-)

:)

Anyway, this will be _very_ good to have in working order, and I think it will
be something that many people even beyond the scipy crowd will benefit from.

Best,