[IPython-dev] Re: [SciPy-dev] Generic gui_thread + IPython: solution already exists!

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Mon Nov 15 14:51:14 EST 2004

    FP> On my Fedora1 laptop:
[...]

    FP> On my Fedora2 desktop:
[...]

    FP> These are both using the stock python.  It appears that
    FP> Fedora2 ships with pthreads, but NOT Fedora1.  So I imagine
    FP> I'd have John's problems on my laptop, but not on my desktop.

John also has the problem that the _tkinter.so does not exist (not
that it might matter).  So a confirmation of this with a quick test
will definitely help.  Please do this whenever you can.

I don't think there is going to be an easy way to detect the
usuability of Tkinter with wthread/gthread.  I think the best solution
is to add another option so that Tk support can be turned on or off on
the command line.  An easy way to do this would be to add a global
variable that is turned on via sys.argv[2].  Something like so::

 ipython -wthread [-tk]
 ipython -gthread [-tk]

So if the user wants to try tkinter support they try with the option.
If they really want it to work they either move to Debian or rebuild
Python/Tcl appropriately. ;-) I think that should do fine enough.
Those who never use Tkinter apps don't have to bother at all with the
-tk option.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
prabhu