[IPython-dev] IPython license switch: LGPL -> BSD

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Sat Oct 2 15:28:29 EDT 2004

Ville Vainio wrote:

> Why not use the MIT license for the whole ipython? On a c.l.py
> discussion that took place a while ago, the MIT license was seen as more
> straightforward and "obviously free" (nothing is free enough to some
> die-hards) than the BSD license.
>
> Or is:
> """
> Neither the name of the <ORGANIZATION> nor the names of its contributors
> may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
> without specific prior written permission.
> """
>
> important to you in some specific manner?

Well, that clause isn't what's in my mind.  Rather,

a. scipy is BSD, so I'm happy just going with what they have.  I know MIT and
BSD are very compatible, but in the future I think ipython and scipy are going
to grow closer together, so the simpler the better.  I don't want to spend
even 5 seconds of our time thinking we need to relicense anything to mix code.
  If we all use the same license, we're good to go from day 1.

b. I already contacted the core authors about BSD, sent emails saying BSD,
etc.  I really don't want to spend one more minute than absolutely necessary
on this, so I'm not going to repeat that dance.

BSD stays.

Best,