[IPython-user] Re: [IPython-dev] I need feedback: new escape for @magics?

Alexander Schmolck a.schmolck at gmx.net
Thu Sep 30 06:51:13 EDT 2004

Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> writes:

> Daishi Harada wrote:
>> Hi Fernando,
>> I would propose ':'.
>> I believe it is currently used for only compound statements
>> and dict items (in Python). I'm not enough of a shell
>> power-user to know if it has any possible meanings as an
>> initial character there.
>> As an added advantage, I think most *nix users will have
>> natural associations of ':' as a command prefix from vi.
>
> I actually like this, b/c of the vi association (regardless of my personal
> opinion of vi, which you don't really want to hear :)
>
> So to wrap up this discussion, my candidate list right now would be:
>
> 1. :magic
> 2. %magic
> 3. &magic
>
> What do people think?  If I don't hear any arguments against, I'll leave the
> choice with option 1.

I think ':' is too good for the purpose (it's much easier to type then the
rest, which seems a waste given that I suspect that almost no-one will ever
type it -- I at least normally find no need to explicitly prefix the magic
methods). So I'd rather save it for the future and go with % (or &) instead.

'as