[IPython-dev] Re: Changes to Notebook Format

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Tue Aug 2 06:06:25 EDT 2005

On Monday 01 August 2005 21:51, Fernando Perez wrote:
> mmh, scratch that.  Upon thinking a bit more, it seems to me that since our
> output proxies have to trap all write() calls, [...]
BTW: Did you find a way to catch stderr output from binary extension modules?
In our terminal we just redirected sys.stderr, which does not effect our C++
extensions. :-(

Maybe it's possible to redirect the file descriptors?

In that case, would we have a problem with buffering, or does that happen
after writing.. no.  The iostreams library will already buffer output I
guess. :-(

An idea worth thinking about though.  (Otherwise, extension module which
containt printf's or cerr << "sth." will output to the terminal that started
the IPython GUI.  That's not optimal, but at least none of the standard
modules do such things AFAICS.. ;-) Oh yes - the version mismatch warning
from Python could be an example!)

Have a nice day,
  Hans