[IPython-dev] Distribution via "Easy Install"?

Ville Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 12:30:56 EST 2005

On 12/22/05, Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> wrote:

> I haven't, but I'd certainly be willing to make whatever changes (if any) are
> needed to play nice with the eggs system.  If anyone knows what needs to be
> done right away, by all means let me know.

>From http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PythonEggs

"""
Edit the target package's setup.py and add "from setuptools import
setup" such that it replaces the existing import of the setup
function. Then run setup.py bdist_egg.
"""

What's frightening is that it seemed to work. :-D

Or more correctly, "python setup.py install" installed ipython as an
egg in site-packages, and running "ipython" launched the new ipython.

/usr/bin/ipython contents are:

---------- cut -------------------
#!/usr/bin/python
# EASY-INSTALL-SCRIPT: 'ipython==0.6.16.svn','ipython'
__requires__ = 'ipython==0.6.16.svn'
import pkg_resources
pkg_resources.run_script('ipython==0.6.16.svn', 'ipython')

If this turns out to be all we need... "wow" is all I can say.

Of course you need setuptools to do this, but it's trivial:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#installing-easy-install

--
Ville Vainio    http://tinyurl.com/2prnb