[IPython-dev] Re: [IPython-user] ANN: IPython 0.6.10 is out.

Viktor Ransmayr viktor.ransmayr at t-online.de
Sun Jan 30 09:41:59 EST 2005

Hi Fernando

You wrote:

> [...]
> -------------
>
> As always, the NEWS file can be found at
> http://ipython.scipy.org/NEWS, and the full ChangeLog at
> http://ipython.scipy.org/ChangeLog.
>

> * The major highlight of this release is vastly improved support for
> Windows users.  Thanks to a lot of help from Viktor Ransmayr
> (installer work) and Gary Bishop (coloring problems), now Windows
> users finally should have an ipython with all the functionality
> available under Unix.
>
> There is now a true win32 executable installer:
>
>   http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/ipython-0.6.10.win32.exe
>
> This can be double-clicked and it will do a real windows installation,
> allowing later de-installation via the Control Panel.  It will also
> warn if it detects that ctypes and/or readline are missing (needed for
> coloring/tab support).
>
> Full source syntax highlighting had always been broken under win32,
> and the bug turned out to be in ipython's formatting code.  Thanks to
> Gary's debugging help, this problem is now fixed.  You can test it by
> typing in ipython:
>
> import code
> code??
>
> You should see properly highligted sources, as shown in this (new)
> screenshot:
>
> http://ipython.scipy.org/screenshots/snapshot6.png
>
> Under Win32, ipython will now honor (if it exists) the $HOME
> environment variable and it will put your .ipython/ directory there.
> This should be more consistent for Win32 users who have a unix-like
> setup.  If $HOME is not defined, the previous behavior remains
> (HOMEDRIVE\HOMEPATH).
>
> I also fixed a crash for pylab users under win32 with multithreaded
> backends (GTK/WX).
>
> I would appreciate reports of any problems from Win32 users.
>
> * (X)Emacs users: I incorporated Alex Schmolck's recent fixes and
> improvements to ipython.el.  Since the python-mode project still
> hasn't made a release with the changes which IPython needs, I've
> temporarily copied today's CVS snapshot (v 4.70) of python-mode.el here:
>
> http://ipython.scipy.org/tmp/python-mode.el
>
> Once they make an official release, I'll remove this.
>
> * Small cleanups and improvements to numutils, including new amin/amax
> and empty_like utility functions.  The deprecated spike/spike_odd
> functions have been removed.
>
> * Fix issue 24 from the bug tracker: spurious attribute access on
> assignment (foo.x=1 would trigger a __getattr__ call on foo).
>
> * Fix reporting of compound names in verbose exception reporting
> mode.  This had been broken since the beginning of ipython (the
> tokenization logic was a bit tricky).
>
> * Fix gtk deprecation warnings (A. Straw patch).
>
> * Fix crash when inspecting instances without an __init__ method
> (reported by N. Nemenc).
>
> * Fix quote stripping bug in shell access (P. Ramachandran report).
>
> * Other minor fixes and cleanups, both to code and documentation.
>

> Enjoy, and as usual please report any problems.

I just now took the time to upgrade from 0.6.9-1 to 0.6.10.

Installing via the Windows-Installer Executable worked. However, you
can't use IPython nor pysh from the start-menu.

If you click on them, the first screen of the Windows Installer executable
is started again.

Verifiying the created links revealed

"C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\VR\Eigene
Dateien\Downloads\Python\IPython\ipython-0.6.10.win32.exe"
C:\Python23\scripts\ipython

respectively

"C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\VR\Eigene
Dateien\Downloads\Python\IPython\ipython-0.6.10.win32.exe"
C:\Python23\scripts\ipython -p pysh

as the target :-(

I gonna download the source of IPython-0.6.10 now and start investigating
the setup.py and the ipython_post_win32_install.py script, which was used
for the generation of the binary installer.

Kind regards,

    Viktor