[IPython-dev] Python version

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Tue Jul 19 12:54:31 EDT 2005

Tzanko Matev wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What Python version should we require for the notebook packages to run?
> Right now I am using Python 2.3 but I think that my code should work on
> Python 2.2 as I don't use any new features. Robert Kern's code uses some
> Python 2.4 features like class decorators, for example. So which is the
> lowest version we should support?

I try to keep ipython 2.2-compatible, though to be honest I haven't actually
_checked_ with 2.2 in a long time.  My default python runtime is 2.3, and
there are still a lot of 2.3 installations out there.  I think it would be
nice to keep 2.3 compatibility, but if it becomes a real burden, it's OK to go
for 2.4 (I have it installed as well).  By the time this code becomes really
stable and widely usable, 2.4 will have been out for long enough that it will
be reasonable to use it as a baseline.

In summary, if @decorators and such really are helping the readability and
clarity of the code, keep 2.4.  I'll adapt.