[IPython-dev] Windows share patch

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Nov 2 15:42:58 EST 2005

Jörgen Stenarson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The patch still works as expected for me. I have not run into any
> problems yet.
>
> Fernandez I think I have an idea that will make it possible for you to

It's Fernando.  Fernandez is a patronimic last name, like Stenarson :)

> test the patch even if you are not on a windows network with your
> windows machine. By enabling sharing on some folder on your computer (do
> this by right clicking on the folder and choosing share (I'm not sure
> about the exact wording since I'm on a swedish computer)). Check the
> share permissions to see that there are reasonable defaults that apply
> to your account. Then you should be able to access that folder via an
> explorer window as \\COMPUTER\FOLDER. If this works then you could try
> it from the command prompt:
>
> cd \\COMPUTER\FOLDER  will fail because UNC paths are not allowed
> pushd \\COMPUTER\FOLDER should work by automatically mounting a drive
> (e.g. Z:/Folder)
> popd takes you back

OK, thanks for the tip.  I'll test this and commit if it all works OK.

Regards,

ps - you'd asked about emacs and tabs.  This is what I have in my .emacs file:

;; Use spaces instead of tabs for indentation
(defun indent-spaces-common-hook ()
   (setq indent-tabs-mode 'nil))

and then make sure you run this hook for python files.