[IPython-dev] [IPython-user] running ipython from command line with pysh profile does not work

Ville Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 14:54:55 EDT 2006

On 4/9/06, Krishna Mohan Gundu <gkmohan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a question for the developers. Is there any good reason, why
> magic commands and system commands cannot span multiple lines using
> escaping newline. I needed this, as my job has some pretty long sed
> commands. I modified iplib.py to get the functionality I needed. I can
> post the diff if you are interested. I will play with this feature a
> bit more as I need it.

The backslash character is "magical" for both python and the
underlying mechanism (os.system/magic handling). In the name of
simplicity, the magical behaviour on python side was sacrificed (and
indeed, it was broken for a long time anyway) and \ is passed to
underlying mechanism as-is.

Do post the diff against the current svn, though, so we can take a
look and discuss it.

--
Ville Vainio - vivainio.googlepages.com
vainio.blogspot.com - g[mail | talk]='vivainio'