[IPython-dev] [Fwd: IPython 0.7 - possible bug with "%edit -p"]

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Mon Jan 16 14:33:40 EST 2006

Ville Vainio wrote:

>>This uses file_read from genutils, which guarantees closing the file object
>>(which Python doesn't automatically enforce on file objects which go out of
>>scope).
>

> Actually, CPython does, Jython doesn't. There are so much CPython
> dependencies anyway that it's probably safe to assume it...

Well, let's not assume it and use file_read in general: at some point, someone
might want to hack on Jython/IronPython ports, and the more compatible we are,
the better.  I know that _today_ we have sys._getframe (and probably other)
dependencies on CPython, but it doesn't cost us anything right now to keep the
code as open to compatibility as possible.