[IPython-dev] [Fwd: IPython 0.7 - possible bug with "%edit -p"]

Ville Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 14:57:51 EST 2006

On 1/16/06, Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> wrote:

> Well, let's not assume it and use file_read in general: at some point, someone
> might want to hack on Jython/IronPython ports, and the more compatible we are,
> the better.  I know that _today_ we have sys._getframe (and probably other)
> dependencies on CPython, but it doesn't cost us anything right now to keep the
> code as open to compatibility as possible.

It that case, it might be more comfortable to go with something that
wraps it all (vs having our own wrappers for operations), I'm of
course talking about the "path" module:

http://www.jorendorff.com/articles/python/path/

It greatly increases the comfort of file manipulation and I use it for
most of my python scripting at work. The "license" is liberal enough
to just copy the module over to IPython source tree and call it BSD
code.

Of course I'm not talking about porting already existing code over to
the path module, but for new code it's worth the shot.

--
Ville Vainio - http://tinyurl.com/2prnb
http://vainio.blogspot.com