[IPython-dev] 0.7.1 around the corner? (Was Bug in ??)

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Wed Jan 18 17:39:26 EST 2006

Ville Vainio writes:
 > Thanks for the report, I'll fix it tomorrow.
 >
 > Keep the reports coming, 0.7.1 is just around the corner. :-)

I guess I better speak up then....

I've been working on a little revision of the pdb.py to make it more
usuable. Things like adding a gdb "run" (restart), turning line
tracing on/off, filling out the command set using gdb as a guidance.

I'd like this to be usable from ipython with minimal fuss. Also to the
extent possible, I'd like for both the stock pdb debugger and this new
one coexist. So if folks have suggestions for how to keep
interoperability in both these areas, I'd be grateful.

Right now the module is pydb (file pydb.py) while the class is Pdb --
same as the stock debugger. Having two Pdb classes is is bad from the
standpoint of being able to have both around at the same time and
possibly the confusion as to which is currently in use. However Pdb
may be desirable from ipython standpoint since that's what it imports.

Does ipython right now have any existing mechanism for handling the
two debugger problem? If not, is there something simple that
could/should be added?

Thanks.

The CVS for what I've been doing is here:
 http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/bashdb/pydb/

There was also an initial release of the code that you can find on
sourceforge, but things have progressed a bit beyond that. In that,
the class was called Pydb which (if I'm not mistaken) would make
ipython interoperability harder.