[IPython-dev] winreadline

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Jan 20 20:13:44 EST 2006

Ville Vainio wrote:
> Regarding winreadline -
>
> To be honest, I don't think making it a subpackage for ipython is the
> best way to go through this. Your modifications to readline are of
> general value, not limited just to ipython. It should be a stand-alone
> package that just gets imported by ipython if available.
>
> We should make the package easy_install:able for the whole world, but
> also ship it in the same tarball as ipython. It should probably also
> be maintained in the IPython SVN repo.
>
> I don't expect the net work to be significantly larger, but the net
> gain can potentially be. Thoughts?

I don't really care much, but if you put it at the top-level, make sure that
the setup.py file is correctly constructed so that readline is only added to
the package list under win32.

We _certainly_ don't want to be overwriting the default readline under *nix/osx.

Being that this is mostly for the benefit of win32 users, I trust your
judgement, since it affects you personally :)