[IPython-dev] UNC readline and ipython

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Sat Jan 21 10:05:45 EST 2006

Ville Vainio wrote:
> On 1/21/06, Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> wrote:
>

>>I didn't, we should probably drop him a line once the merge starts.  Ville,
>>Vivian, Jorgen (our pyreadline team :): can one of you contact him and perhaps
>>arrange for his patches to come through as well?
>

> Damn, I pressend "send" accidentally.
>
> My suggestion is, since there seems to be a handful of work with
> pyreadline after all, you could give SVN access to one extra person -
> Jorgen asked for them so he seems like a good bet. If Jorgen is
> willing to take up the task, of course.

Jorgen, interested?  I'd be happy to give you SVN access if you will really
work on this, though I'd ask you that in the beginning, you limit commits to
the readline area.  The ipython codebase is messy and brittle, so it's quite
easy to break things you don't know well.  If you want to make non-trivial
commits elsewhere, it's a good idea to first run the patch by the list (even
if you end up being the one applying it, we can thus review it on-list
beforehand).

Also, as we get more people actually working on ipython itself, code style
consistency becomes more important.  Whether you are committing directly or
sending patches, please take a moment to read, and actually FOLLOW:

http://projects.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/wiki/DeveloperGuidelines

Clear, consistenly styled code is important, as it makes the mental flow over
a large codebase function much more smoothly.  Feel free to comment on these
if you feel that any of it is either over the top, or missing something important.