[IPython-dev] Magics that have return values, $$var=cmd simplification

Ville Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 14:10:23 EST 2006

On 1/24/06, Ville Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:

> I figured we could implement a handy and intuitive way to grab
> both magic return values and system command output:
>
> var = %mymagic args a plenty
>
> var = !command args a plenty

Both are implemented in SVN, it'd be great if some of you had time to play
with it. The only magic that currently returns a value is %alias without args,
but I think there will be more now.

I also added a deprecation text in docs for %sc. I won't remove it but thought
users would prefer the 'files = !ls' format.

--
Ville Vainio - http://tinyurl.com/2prnb
http://vainio.blogspot.com