[IPython-dev] Fwd: [Matplotlib-users] Improved dashing for black and white plots?

Walter Dörwald walter at livinglogic.de
Wed Jul 12 13:02:55 EDT 2006

Fernando Perez wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> in case one of you wants to have a serious go at this idea.  I think
> it would be pretty cool, but it's not completely trivial to implement.
>  Capturing of stdout of external and extension code requires proper
> handling of the underlying file descriptors.  Here's some code Robert
> Kern wrote a while ago to do this:
>

> import os
> import sys
>
> STDOUT = 1
> STDERR = 2
>
> class Redirector:
> [...]

I've tried it with Robert's Redirector and the following ipipe Table:

from IPython.Extensions import ipipe

class iprint(ipipe.Table):
    def __init__(self, cmd):
        self.cmd = cmd

    def __iter__(self):
        redir = Redirector()
        redir.start()
        globals = ipipe.getglobals(None)
        exec self.cmd in {}, globals
        output = redir.stop()
        for line in output.splitlines():
            yield line

Fiddling with stdout like Redirector does seems to completely mess up
curses (doing a
   iprint("for i in xrange(10): print i") | ibrowse
gives me an
   error: nocbreak() returned ERR
exception

Would it be enough to redirect stdout on the Python level (i.e. replace
sys.stdout)?

The following works without any problems.

class iprint(ipipe.Table):
    def __init__(self, cmd):
        self.cmd = cmd

    def __iter__(self):
        oldstdout = sys.stdout
        try:
            sys.stdout = cStringIO.StringIO()
            globals = ipipe.getglobals(None)
            exec self.cmd in {}, globals
            output = sys.stdout.getvalue()
        finally:
            sys.stdout = oldstdout

        for line in output.splitlines():
            yield line

Of course
   iprint("_ip.magic('history')") | ifilter("'import' in _")
doesn't look as simple as
   %history | grep import

But currently ipipe is implemented as a display hook, so the input must
be a valid Python expression.

> Incidentally, this would bring ipython much closer to Microsoft's
> Monad shell model:
>
>     http://arstechnica.com/guides/other/msh.ars
>
> Ever since that review came out, I've thought that python/ipython
> already has 90% of those tools, save a proper (but better) pipe-like
> model for chaining object results.  With a bit of time investment,
> this could certainly be done.

Servus,
   Walter