[IPython-dev] New API page on the wiki...

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu May 11 14:06:01 EDT 2006

Hi all,

Todd Miller, from the STScI, recently sent me some information on the
work they had to do in order to use ipython as a shell for the next
version of their PyRAF analysis system.  I decided to use this as the
starting information for a new page on IPython's API:

http://projects.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/wiki/NewDesign/API

I know Ville has also done a lot of work on a cleaner mechanism to
expose IPython's internals. It would be great if we start documenting
all this on this page (breaking it into subpages as need dictates).
As we refactor the code, one thing I /really/ want to do is offer
extension writers a clear way to access ipython's public internals.

If any of you has used ipython for a project with serious extensions,
let us know and we'll add the material to the Wiki (note that very
soon, we'll be able to have users register themselves so they can edit
the wiki as well).