[IPython-dev] autoload and making %pydb be more ipythonic (was: Extensions/pydb_ipy.py added)

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Fri Nov 24 00:39:20 EST 2006

Thanks for applying the patch!

I am currently out of town, but when I get back I'll try as you suggest below.

I have other patches sitting on a disk somewhere too.

I don't have a problem adding ipy_pydb.py in the pydb package. But the one thing though that I think would somehow be nice is that if one *didn't* have to do run "import ipy_pydb" to allow %pydb to work. Given that one can put this in a "try" block, I don't see any downside of doing this.

A cool and more general mechanism for ipython extensions would be something along the lines of Emacs Lisp "autoload". Say if I run %xxx ... then if that's not registered, try to run "import ipy_xxx" (where for example xxx = pydb), and then run %xxx ....  Comments?