[IPython-dev] autoload and making %pydb be more ipythonic (was: Extensions/pydb_ipy.py added)

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Sun Nov 26 10:01:48 EST 2006

Ville M. Vainio writes:
 > On 11/26/06, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:
 >
 > > Why doesn't it make sense to do this when installing pydb? Isn't
 > > installation the exact time when things like this should be done?
 >
 > Answering myself -
 >
 > The registration should probably be performed both during installation
 > and import of the module. In installation the registration only
 > applies to the user that happens to run setup.py, but other users can
 > do the registration manually by just importing the module once.

What happens if I install pydb first and then install ipython? And as
for doing somehting ipython-wise inside a pydb import, you have the
same issue as you brought up before: I may import pydb outside of
ipython, and/or may not want it to get used automatically or every
time inside ipython.

For now, ipy_user_conf.py seems like right place to put an "import
ipy_pydb" to indicate you want %pydb to work.