[IPython-dev] Fwd: IPython and closing sys.stdout

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 12:34:55 EDT 2006

On 9/27/06, Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> wrote:

> In my opinion, the best thing to do would be to subclass InteractiveConsole
> and provide a more robust raw_input() method.  Ideally, I think you'd want
> to dup() the file descriptors for sys.{stdin,stdout} and use those instead
> of calling the builtin raw_input().  Something like (untested):
>
>      class IC(code.InteractiveConsole):
>          def __init__(self):
>              code.InteractiveConsole.__init__(self)
>              self.input = os.fdopen(os.dup(sys.stdin.fileno()))
>              self.output = os.fdopen(os.dup(sys.stdout.fileno()))
>              self.error = os.fdopen(os.dup(sys.stderr.fileno()))
>
>          def raw_input(self, prompt=""):
>              if prompt:
>                  self.output.write(prompt):
>                  self.output.flush()
>              return self.input.readline()
>
>          def write(self, data):
>              self.error.write(data)
>
> Also, the runcode() method will have to be overridden to use self.output
> instead of sys.stdout.  Those couple changes should (hopefully) insulate
> IPython from such user wackiness.

It seems code.InteractiveConsole was removed from ipython
purposefully, so this would seem to be going to the wrong direction
(Fernando?). I put the ValueError cathing (which was originally for
quit() on py2.5) back in, but there are lots of plain print statements
around ipython and intact sys.std[in | out] would seem necessary, for
a while at least.

At least now we fail with a helpful message, instead of infinite loop.