[IPython-dev] A maze of twisty little version control systems, mostly alike (Was [Fwd: Re: making pdoc, pdef, ) and pinfo more generally useful]

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Fri Oct 13 13:14:20 EDT 2006

First, thanks everyone for the suggestions on how to apply version
control on top of another version control system.

>From Stefan van der Walt's suggestion and help (sent in private
email), I have bzr running on top of the ipython svn. So the problem I
was having with backed-up patches shouldn't be an issue in the
future. Thanks Stefan v.d.W!

However I will also look into Mercurial Queues as suggested by Stefan
Reichoer. I currently use SVN, CVS, Perforce, RCS, SCCS (in the past),
and now bzr. Other than bitkeeper and GNU Arch, I wasn't aware there
*were* any more version control systems. I can't wait for a half a
dozen more to come on the scene so we can learn those as well.

But also many thanks to Stefan Reichoer thanks for mentioning and
writing dvc. I've installed that. (One little suggestion though for
the INSTALL file. A small step is missing if you get the package via
"bzr get http://bzr.xsteve.at/dvc" - I needed to run autoconf to build
configure from configure.ac)

I also noticed that Stefan R. has also written an Emacs SVN interface
too! As a PCL-CVS user This is something I've long wanted. (And it had
not escaped my careful and keep powers of observation that ipython
uses SVN.)

In sum, I'm learning a great deal from reading the ipython-dev forum.

Again - thanks.